Return to About BIF
General Policies | Poster Printing | Training | Scheduling/Billing | Specimen Preparation
Return to top.
- All users are required to attend BIF training sessions before they are allowed access to any of the instruments.
- Users must inform BIF staff as soon as possible to any changes regarding contact information and Chart Strings.
- Users with reservations are given first priority on the instrument during their allotted reservation. If you have not made a reservation ahead of time, you can still use the instrument when no other reservations are scheduled.
- All safety standards and regulations regarding chemicals, lasers, and instruments must be observed at all times.
- Any malfunction or damage of the instruments or software must be noted in the logbook. Users should inform BIF staff (either in person or via email) as soon as possible so the issue can be addressed promptly.
- Users assume responsibility, both financially and otherwise, for any damage to BIF equipment and facilities due to gross and/or repeated negligence.
- Users are to keep their work area clean and neat before leaving the facility.
- All items are to be returned to their original location.
- Users must sign out for any and all instruments, tools, or chemicals borrowed from the facility.
- Users borrowing from the facility may be charged for said items; items that are not returned to BIF will be charged to the user’s Chart String account for up to the full value of the item.
- All users are responsible for their own samples and specimens – samples and specimens should not be left in BIF without making prior arrangements and agreements with BIF staff and management.
- All users are responsible for their data and are to backup their data. BIF is not responsible for loss of data.
- Any data left on BIF computers for more than one month are subject to deletion.
- Key access to the facility is given at the discretion of BIF management.
- Repeated failure to sign in or unauthorized use of equipment is subject to termination of facility privileges at the discretion of BIF management.
- Failure to comply with BIF regulations and policies will result in termination of privileges.
Return to top.
- BIF does not take reservations for poster printing — first come, first served. However, there may be a waiting list during peak times.
- BIF is not responsible for monitoring your poster for errors in your absence — however, if the error is noticeable enough to catch our attention, it will be addressed.
- BIF staff offers technical support on resolution and layout issues to all printer users.
- Rates for NU Affiliated users:
- $1.54/linear inch
- $5/poster tube
- A per poster charge will be applied to users wishing for BIF staff to print their posters in the users absence. It is preferred that the user come to BIF and print their own poster. If you are unable to come to BIF, before asking BIF staff, please try to find someone from your lab or office to print the poster at BIF for you.
- Posters printed by BIF staff will be printed as-is. BIF staff is not responsible for correcting any misspellings, image placement/resolution issues, or any other errors other than printer or conversion errors.
- If a poster is printed with errors, but the user does not cancel it, they will be charged for the poster even if they choose to reprint it. They will also be charged for the second printing.
Return to top.
- All users must be trained by BIF staff before using any of the facility's equipment.
- Training is offered through appointment, and will depend on the availability of the instrument and BIF staff.
- Users must submit a New User Application on the day they begin their training. (Click here for application.)
- Users who wish to use the Confocal Laser systems must complete the Office for Research Safety's Basic Laser Safety Awareness Training (online) prior to use of the microscopes.
- Once users have completed training, they will not receive key access to the facility until BIF management has agreed that the user has shown competency and a desired performance level on the equipment. (Key access is given at the discretion of BIF management.)
Return to top.
- Accepted methods of payment are: Chart String or Check. No cash or credit cards.
- Users are responsible for updating their Chart String in FOM. (Please inform BIF Staff if you change your Chart String.)
- Users are responsible for creating/canceling their reservations.
- Users have up to 24 hours before their reservation start time to cancel their reservations in FOM with no charge. If the reservation is canceled within the 24 hour time frame, users will be charged for one hour of the reservation.
- Users must log into FOM by clicking on their reservation in the calendar. To log out, do the same thing. If you are experiencing difficulties using the scheduling software, please notify BIF Staff (847-467-0374) as soon as possible.
- Users will be billed based on their hours recorded in FOM.
- If you believe FOM has not recorded your hours accurately, please notify Jamie as soon as possible.
- A user who is 30 minutes or more late to their reservation will be billed from the beginning of their online reservation.
*Exceptions will be made if you are late because of another user on the equipment.
- If a user does not show up for their appointment and fails to cancel their reservation, they will be charged for their entire reservation time.
- Repeated failure to sign in or unauthorized use of equipment is subject to termination of facility privileges.
- Though users can use the equipment without making an online reservation — any user who has an online reservation will be given priority for use of the equipment.
(BIF strongly recommends always making online appointments.)
- NU Affiliated rates can be found here.
External users without an appointment letter from the Dean will be charged at the Non-NU Affiliated rate, unless otherwise specified in the External user application/contract.
Return to top.
- All work areas are to be left clean and tidy before leaving the facility.
- All equipment, tools, and chemicals should be returned to their original location.
- BIF is not responsible for providing all supplies or tools for common use. Users should check with BIF staff if certain supplies are available and what charges might be associated with them.
- Certain supplies are provided and are built into the instrument rates.
- Any and all procedures and preparations yielding fumes and gases must be performed in fume hoods.
- All chemicals left in fume hoods must be properly labeled with the exact contents. Any item left unsecured may be disposed.